Saturday, May 5, 2012

Warm Fuzzies

One of the things that we often do as teachers is relate our lessons to things that are happening in the lives of our students. If someone loses a tooth, we read a book about teeth or the Tooth Fairy. If someone is being bullied, we read about about standing up for yourself. And if someone has a new sibling, we might find some books about new babies.

Well, a friend in my class was recently gone for a few days because his mother finally give birth to his new little brother. I told him that his story reminded me of a poem called "Tengo un hermanito" (I have a little brother). He said, "Why?" and in the few minutes before we headed off to the buses, I took a moment to read it to him. It's about a boy (or girl?) whose mother just had a baby, and the boy thinks his new baby brother is downright annoying. He doesn't know how to read, or eat, or use a spoon, he definitely can't play soccer, and on top of that, he's BALD! 

When we finished reading the poem, my little friend looked at me, then put his head in my lap and gave me a hug. He had the sweetest little smile on his face. 

Literature, love and warm fuzzies. What a great way to end the week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment