Thursday, April 18, 2013

Accountably Hilarious Talk

So I've been teaching my kids accountable talk--how to converse with each other. They've actually made a lot of progress in the past week or so, which is really exciting.

Today I had two girls, M and A, sitting with me talking about place value--what the one in 14 means, and what the 2 in 24 means. M was struggling, quite vocally, with the concept that the one didn't mean just one thing. She kept changing her mind over and over. She'd say, "I think the two means thirty. No, it means fourteen. No, it means two." Then I'd ask A, what do you think? Before A could get a word in edgewise, M responded, "I disagree." I said, "How can you disagree with your friend, if she hasn't said anything?" Her response: "I disagree with myself."

I couldn't help but laugh.  Children are hilarious.

Oh--and she figured it out (as did her friend). The one means a tower of ten. Smarty pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment